Employment Class. -
Marlin Bay Resort & Marina, Marathon, Florida
Job Description Summary
The primary purpose of this position is to provide the leadership to the daily operation involving the Marina in accordance with policies, standards and guidelines established within the Elite Alliance Hospitality (“EAH”) Standards of Operation and Marina Operational Manual. Responsibilities include working closely with EAH, Board of Directors and Developer to promote, manage and operate the Marina. In addition, the Dockmaster will assist the EAH Corporate team involving special tasks, operations, Guest Programs and projects.
The needs to be fulfilled and the duties to be performed by the person holding this position require that the individual be “hands on”; therefore, the schedule will be set accordingly.
The objective of this position is to ensure Guest satisfaction, positive Employee morale, operational efficiency and cost controls.
This position is a very visible position. The person having this position must comply with EAH’s dress code policies, possess good communication skills, have the ability to resolve conflict and have a thorough understanding of policies, procedures and expectations.
Based upon fluctuating demands and to exceed Guest expectations, it may be necessary for the Dockmaster to perform a multitude of different functions not specifically related to the position. Responsibilities and job descriptions are subject to review and revision.
Essential Functions and Accountabilities
- Adhere to all standards of operations, policies and procedures, manuals, memos and oral instruction;
- Maintain a high level of personal hygiene and adhere to dress code policies;
- Ensure that service is professional, discreet and personalized;
- Assist in development and implementation of special projects;
- Ensure that all Employees are delivering the highest standards of service;
- Maintain good, professional and accurate communication with Employees, Guests and Vendors;
- Ensure proper follow-up and resolution of Guest concerns;
- Responsible for reviewing, understanding and assisting Guest needs;
- Possess a thorough knowledge of all services and amenities;
- Promote and encourage Guest name recognition at all times;
- Ensure all calls are answered in a courteous, professional and efficient manner;
- Maintain a high level of cleanliness in all work areas;
- Serve as the liaison between the Developer and Elite Alliance Hospitality;
- Ensure immediate response is given to any/all Guest comments and/or concerns and implement corrective measures when deemed necessary;
- Maintain an increased awareness of safety issues; and
- Attend all relevant meetings.
- Assist in coordinating contract services and service agreements;
- Assist in creating and maintaining current knowledge of the Guest Programs and Marina policies and procedures;
- Assist in the development of continuous five-year capital improvement plan for operation;
- Possess a thorough understanding and utilize the Property Management Systems;
- Ensure all license requirements are fulfilled;
- Maintain an accurate and current filing systems;
- Coordinate Employee weekly schedules; and
- Maintain equipment and supplies equipment inventory.
- Accountable for administration and controls involving the petty cash account;
- Process all invoices for goods and services rendered on a timely basis;
- Ensure that all accounting standards are adhered to;
- Manage expenditures from the Annual Operating Budget and business needs;
- Record all miscellaneous transactions into the Property Management Software;
- Adhere to all cash handling procedures;
- Comply with procurement procedures;
- Monitor daily sales activities (Marina);
- Prepare monthly financial variance reports;
- Assist with the accounts receivable;
- Initiate, implement and comprehend all accounting procedures to include: labor forecasts, inventory procedures, payroll, service fees; budgets and month-end analysis; and
- Assist with processing pay records for Employees.
- Ensure all Employees maintain a high level of personal hygiene and adhere to dress code policies for their scheduled shift;
- Ensure that all Employees are professional;
- Select the best-qualified candidates for Marina positions;
- Implement and administer all aspects of Employee training and development;
- Annually, review job descriptions and update labor standards;
- Ensure OSHA compliance;
- Administer Employee Handbook policies and procedure; and
- Conduct Performance Evaluations of supervised Employees.
- Coordinate Guest orientation;
- Greet all Guests upon arrival;
- Maintain Dockage Agreements;
- Assist with advertising and promoting Marina's services and slips;
- Conduct an on-going review of Marina rates and charges;
- Prepare new rate schedule for approval;
- Manage pre-arrival communication for S Guests;
- Provide daily arrival and departure reports for distribution; and
- Coordinate S Guest reservations with General Manager and EAH Corporate.
- Accountable for appropriate administration and controls;
- Coordinate par level and stock of all items; and
- Assist with ordering all supplies.
- Assist with coordination new Guest orientation;
- Ensure accurate information is displayed on the website;
- Attend and assist with Events I.e. Evening Receptions, etc.;
- Develop rapport with local vendors and business in cross utilization of services and amenities;
- Answer Guest questions relating to services, shopping, dining, activities, entertainment, and other inquires;
- Implement clearly established opening and closing procedures;
- Ensure property and marina are in compliance with code ;
- Ensure that equipment is maintained in good, safe working condition;
- Conduct monthly inventories as set forth in the standard operating procedures;
- Periodically review and update standard levels of all amenities, supplies and equipment;
- Responsible for marina security;
- Enforce Marina Rules and Regulations;
- Maintain docks, emptying trash containers, returning dock carts to storage area, policing grounds and picking up trash and maintain Marina in such a manner that it is esthetically at its best;
- Empty trash receptacles, water dock planters, remove debris from Marina water;
- Reports any maintenance issues in a timely manner;
- Cleans, set up, and organize, retail, pavilion, dock and furniture;
- Maintain adequate supply of bagged ice;
- Provides boat provisioning assistance (carrying dock cart, items, etc. and assisting with placement on boat) upon request;
- Securing water and electrical supply to boats as required. Check dock lines and utility supplies as necessary during changing weather conditions;
- Make periodic "Slip Checks" to verify boats in storage and keep property management software up to date;
- Assist Guests in embarking and disembarking boats;
- Oversee kayaks and paddle boards;
- Ensure life vests are distributed and in good repair;
- Maintain accurate checklists and records of maintenance and repairs as required (including docks, piers, emergency and safety equipment, outside lighting, etc.);
- Assist with special Marina functions - tournaments, etc.;
- Ensure proper handling of VHF base radio operations;
- Implement correct storm, fire, first aid, and oil spill procedures - coordinate activities of dockhands during implementation of these procedures;
- Have a full comprehension of all regulations, contractual provisions and enforcement policies; and
- Maintain a good working relationship with the area's Coast Guard.
Because of the fluctuating demands of the operation, it may be necessary that each employee perform a multitude of different functions; therefore, as an essential part of your position, you will be expected to help others when the occasion arises, just as other employees are expected to help you. Accordingly, you may be expected to perform other tasks and duties as needed or as directed.
Reports Directly to: General Manager
Directly Supervises: Assistant Dockmaster, Dockhands
Indirectly Supervises: All other Employees
Five years’ experience in Marina Operations, hospitality, private club and property management environment of prior experience in related job preferred. Computer literate. Knowledgeable of local amenities, services, activities, etc. Current/valid driver’s license required. Captains License Preferred. CPR certified.
Budget Control Responsibilities
Accounting procedures to include: weekly labor forecast, inventory procedures, monthly financial forecast, annual budgeting procedures (payroll and other expenses), capital expenditures and month end analysis.
Maintain an increased awareness of safety issues. Ensure all Security policies and procedures are observed in areas such as computer security, keys, locks, inventory and Guest and employee information.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedures manuals;
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence;
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of employees; and
- Maintain a good driving record.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate;
- The person having this responsibility may have to lift up to 100 lbs. on a daily basis;
- The person having this position may have to sit for one (1) hour, stand and/or walk, push, kneel, bend, balance, squat, reach and stretch for eight (8) hours per day; and
- The work environment characteristics described herein are representative of those an employee typically encounters while performing the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, Guests and the general public.